Causes of Female Hair Loss
Unlike men, women are susceptible to a wider variety of medical conditions and causes that can lead to hair loss in females. Luckily, you're not on your own when it comes to finding out why. Our hair loss treatment specialists are familiar with the many possible causes of hair loss in women and can help develop a personalized treatment to help rejuvenate your hair.
Common Female Hair Loss Causes
While many people associate hair loss only with men, women also suffer from it. In fact, according to Columbia University, an estimated 30 million women in the U.S. are affected by hair loss, so it should come as no surprise that there are numerous causes of female hair loss.
Some of the most common causes of hair loss in women include:
- Androgenetic Alopecia in females. Androgens are male hormones that are typically present in small amounts. Androgenetic alopecia can be caused by high androgen birth contol pills, ovarian cysts, hormones, menopause, or pregnancy.
- Hormonal Imbalances. Hormonal imbalances can occur during menopause, postpartum, chemotherapy treatments, stress, depression, or as part of a disorder such as alopecia areata.
- Medications. Medications for blood pressure, heart conditions, birth control, and depression are known to cause hair loss.
- Chemical hair relaxers. can both damage hair and cause hair loss.
- Excessively tight hair braiding. Pulling hair too tight can damage the hair follicle, preventing hair from growing back properly.
- Hair pulling. Hair loss can result from a compulsive hair pulling disorder such as Trichotillomania.
- Poor nutrition. Eating the wrong foods or getting insufficient nutrition can lead to hair loss.
- Genetics or aging. If your family has a history of hair loss, you are more likely to have it as well. The likelihood of hair loss also increases with age.
If you're experiencing hair loss symptoms and are considering treatment, we can help you determine the precise factors affecting your hair and prescribe the most effective hair loss treatment options possible.