Depression can have a significant effect on the body. That includes the scalp and hair. There is a link between depression and hair loss, an issue that affects men, women and young people.
A mood disorder characterized by feelings of sadness, worthlessness, or hopelessness, the National Institute of Mental Health that more than 21 million adults in the United States had at least one major depressive episode. Hair loss and stress are also related, with three types of hair loss associated with high stress according to the Mayo Clinic. They include telogen effluvium which pushes hair follicles into the resting phase, trichotillomania causing sufferers to pull out their hair from the scalp and alopecia areata when the body’s immune system attacks hair follicles.
What is the CONNECTION between hair loss and depression?
Depression and hair loss share commonalities. Both hair loss and depression can create loss of interest or taking pleasure in hobbies and activities. As one HairClub Member shared in her testimonial, before finding HairClub, she stopped going to the beach entirely, which was her stress reliever and favorite pastime. Her advanced hair loss made her too self-conscious. Similarly, depression can cause people to stop caring about things that once brought them joy.
“Hair loss can absolutely be a trigger for the development of depression or the worsening of any pre-existing depression in some individuals,” said Dr. Angie Phipps, HairClub medical advisor and board-certified hair restoration surgeon with Bosley, the surgical hair restoration partner within the HairClub family. “People can become so self-conscious about their hair loss and thinning hair that it can progress from just being something that bothers someone to a very real catalyst for clinical depression.”
The link between depression and hair loss can be physical and psychological. Depression can sometimes lead to hair loss and hair loss can trigger depression. Even with professional treatment for depression symptoms, hair loss due to underlying issues related to the condition can occur.
“Hair loss isn’t something to just brush off and tell individuals that they shouldn’t worry about it, that it’s just genetics and bad luck – hair loss and the mental health toll it can take on some individuals needs to be recognized, openly discussed, and talked about with real interest and validation,” said Dr. Phipps. “Everyone, including health care providers need to be cognizant of and take seriously the issue of depression and hair loss.”
HairClub is your partner in all hair loss solutions, regardless of the cause.
You do not have to face hair loss alone. HairClub is a community of shared experiences and supportive Hair Health Experts, specially trained in all types of hair loss. Using HairClub’s advanced imaging technology called TrichoView, they can identify every stage of hair loss and determine the best solution for each HairClub Member.
Hair loss associated with depression can manifest itself in many forms, including telogen effluvium or alopecia areata. Telogen effluvium causes hairs to shift into a resting phase before eventually falling out later. Alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder, causes patches of acute hair loss. HairClub has a solution for every stage of hair loss, from early regrowth options to advanced hair replacement systems.
Fuller, thicker hair begins with a healthy scalp. For early hair loss, HairClub’s EXT Extreme Hair Therapy can help Members regrow hair. EXT’s powerful combination of in-center and at home products are proven to assist in hair regrowth. EXT kicks hair and scalp health into overdrive, preparing the ideal environment for hair to grow. EXT includes FDA-approved laser hair therapy, a solution containing minoxidil, scalp stimulation, and products, all of which help to regrow hair.
In cases of advanced hair loss where hair regrowth is no longer an option or Members want instantly thicker hair, HairClub’s Xtrands+ solution is transformational. In testimonials, HairClub Members rave about getting hair they love with Xtrands+ and feeling confident about their hair again. Xtrands+ is HairClub’s premium, full-coverage hair system.
Take action. Don't wait.
Decisive action is the enemy of hair loss. And no two cases of depression and hair loss are the same. Both interfere with daily activities cause stress, which can worsen hair loss. Don’t wait to get help with hair loss.
- Book a free consultation at HairClub at the first sign of hair loss to get help immediately. Hair loss is progressive, which means it worsens over time. By the time someone sees hair loss in the mirror with the naked eye, they have lost roughly half of the hair in the area where hair loss is visible.
- Rely on your HairClub community. HairClub’s Hair Health Experts are just that, experts in hair health. But they are also compassionate and understanding, given that many of HairClub’s Hair Health Experts are also HairClub Members.
- Stimulate your scalp. Circulation, or blood flow to the scalp, helps create a healthful environment for hair to grow. Ask your HairClub Hair Health Expert about getting your own EXT Scalp Massager and EXT laser hair therapy for use at home between in-center visits.
- Maintain compliance with your hair loss solution. Hair regrowth takes time. Be patient with your hair as it regrows.
- Only use products recommended by your HairClub Hair Health Experts. HairClub shampoos and conditioners and other hair health products are especially formulated to treat hair loss and maintain hair replacement systems.
- Go easy on your hair. Avoid damaging styling methods that could lead to breakage.
- Try to reduce stress levels, which may be contributing to hair loss.