Millions of Americans are dealing with hair loss every day. As we age, our hair growth rate decelerates. There are also genetic factors that cause male or female pattern baldness, also known as androgenetic alopecia, and hair miniaturization, or thinning of the hair follicles. Without intervention, your hair loss will worsen over time.
If you notice any of the signs below, it’s time to act now. The sooner you act, the more solution options you’ll have.
Hair Loss Signs
- Widening Part – A widening part is often the first sign of hair loss, especially for women. When your hair starts to thin, you may notice more scalp showing around your part.
- Excess Shedding – The average person sheds 50 to 100 hairs per day. If you are shedding more than the average amount, then your hair may be starting to thin. If you’re noticing more and more hair in the drain or on your brush, it may be time to take action.
- Receding at the Hairline and Temples – Hair typically recedes at the hairline for men, while women see hair receding around their temples. The hair around your hairline or temples may be shorter where the hair loss is occurring. This is called hair miniaturization. When a hair follicle is beginning to become inactive, the hair it generates becomes thinner and shorter until eventually, the follicle stops producing new hair.
Miniaturization describes the progression of thinning hair. During miniaturization, hair follicles that once were producing healthy hairs start generating thinner hairs with fragile shafts. The less-dense hairs can lead to the appearance of thinning hair. Those with hair miniaturization will experience a disruption in the hair growth cycle. This can lead to the shortening of hair strands and the constricting of follicles, which ultimately leads to hair thinning and loss.
- Genetics – Hair miniaturization is genetic with genes coming from parents.
- Levels of Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) – DHT is the primary hormone associated with the miniaturization of hair follicles. Certain hairs have a genetic predisposition to fall out if exposed to high levels of DHT. DHT can cling to the follicle and cause it to shed prematurely. Then, it begins to shrink the follicle and finer hair regrows in its place.
- Age – You are more likely to experience miniaturization of your hair the older you get. Treatment Minoxidil and finasteride are approved by the FDA to combat hair miniaturization. Minoxidil stimulates hair growth by increasing blood flow to miniaturized follicles. Finasteride is an oral prescription treatment that reduces the active levels of DHT in your body to help prevent the shrinking of hair follicles.
Minoxidil and finasteride are approved by the FDA to combat hair miniaturization. Minoxidil stimulates hair growth by increasing blood flow to miniaturized follicles. Finasteride is an oral prescription treatment that reduces the active levels of DHT in your body to help prevent the shrinking of hair follicles.
Hair loss treatments may be effective. However, in some cases, only surgical hair restoration can restore healthy follicles. Hairs are taken from areas on the back and sides of the head that are not sensitive to DHT. These hairs are then transplanted into the balding areas.
What should you do if you’re noticing one or more early signs of hair loss? Talk to your doctor to make sure there isn’t an underlying condition causing your thinning. Then, schedule a free, no-obligation, 10-point hair health checkup with a Trichoview® hair and scalp analysis at HairClub. The Trichoscope magnifies the hair and scalp so a hair health expert can see hair shaft thickness and density at the follicular level. We’ll recommend a time-tested, proven solution to get back the hair you love, quickly.
At your appointment, you’ll receive:
- A free hair and scalp analysis
- A personalized report detailing your current hair health and the condition of your scalp
- A customized treatment plan with your solution recommendation
- One-on-one time with a hair health expert who can answer your questions
- Advice on how to style your hair to help you look your best
- A private consultation room, because we understand that regaining the hair you love is personal
- A warm, welcoming environment (including complimentary refreshments) where you can feel comfortable being yourself
Since 1976, HairClub has helped more than 600,000 clients love their hair and live their lives. Schedule your consultation today and discover for yourself how a full head of hair can help you live life to the fullest!
The information presented herein is general in nature and for informational purposes only. The exact cause of hair loss can only be determined by a medical professional.